Category creation

Allgemeine Diskussionen zu ConPresso 3.x.
Achtung: Bitte benutzt wenn möglich die themenspezifischen Foren!
Antworten
John Voth

Category creation

Beitrag von John Voth »

Howdy,

I'm attempting to create some categories to see if I can.

I'm reading README_EN.txt and it tells me that I should be able to make a new subdirectory like "news", "weather" or "sports" from the console command line something like this:
"cp -R jobs/ news/"
then ConPresso should see this new category.
Then I can go into that categories settings and edit them.

Well, that's the process on my mind but it's not working.
ConPresso ignores my new subdirectory. I don't even get an error.

Is there a "Create Category" button somewhere that I've missed? That would be a cool function.

John
schoene
ConPresso-Entwickler
Danksagung erhalten: 13 Mal

Re: Category creation

Beitrag von schoene »

Hi John,

seems you are on the right way and you already created the new category. After copying the new subdirectory (e.g. "weather" as copy of "news") you just have to log in and set rights to the new category.

So:

- Change user
- rights (4th column)
- select the new category and set the rights

I also think a "Create Category" button would be a nice funktion and in general it would be possible to create it, but it would cause some security poblems. Think Balu can provide more information...

Steffen
John Voth

Beitrag von John Voth »

Thanks Steffen!

That worked too easy!!

I also understand about the security issues but if you're logging on as Administrator then I don't see a security issue. Just forbid anyone but the admin from creating categories.

What do you all think?

Danka!!

John
schoene
ConPresso-Entwickler
Danksagung erhalten: 13 Mal

Beitrag von schoene »

Hi John,

as you noticed, it was not difficult to create a new category using FTP. It´s just nesessary to copy a subdirectory and set a new name. So why shouldn´t it be possiple to do this with a simple PHP command???? A question I made to our developers some time ago.

Like Balu (one of the developers) told me, the function that could do this is not activated in the standard installation of PHP. It would be necessary to make some changes that causes the big security risks I was talking about. E.g. the server needs the right to write into the file system and not only into the database.

The technique standards PHP and MySQL ConPresso needs, allwows to install the system also on lower cost webspace in the world wide web like many of the people using ConPresso do. The problem is, that custmers of lower cost providers do not have the chance to change the PHP settings and rights of the webserver. So if you don´t have your own server you will never be able to use this function. :(

At the moment we have a discussion here about the main direction the ConPresso development should follow. Including your other question about the automated navigation you hit two of the main points!

STEFFEN
Thomas -Balu- Walter

Beitrag von Thomas -Balu- Walter »

Hi John,

Steffens answer is not exactly true :-).

Of course there are functions that can handle this, but as Steffen notes you'd have to enable the webserver to write to your conpresso-directory.

Of course it'd be possible to write ConPresso in a way to do so securly, but on many servers that would make it possible for other users to write into your ConPresso directory e.g. which we wanted to avoid. Another problem is that the new categories would be created by the webserver with its rights. We have seen software that made it impossible for the admin to delete such directories, because he does not have the right to do so.

We also thought of ConPresso in a different way by now: An admin should manage the site-structure and create pages (categories) that can be managed by his users. Because of the above issues (and some minor others) we thought that it's easy enough for an admin to just copy an existing categorie (perhaps already with design-changes, etc.).

Because of that there also is no automated navigation yet. But we have seen users managing their navigation with a category :-)

As Steffen noted we are just discussing the TODOs for ConPresso and where to go from here. So ConPresso might have your desired features next year ;).

Balu
John Voth

Beitrag von John Voth »

Thanks Guys,

I think that the cp -R category1/ category2 is the simplest method of doing this. And, as you've pointed out, this is easily done in ftp or sftp. I'm cool with that now that I realize it.

You know, I have seen this idea solved in a different manner. The program author decided to take the site structure and content into the database completely and manipulate it there. Then, the files found in the pages are a bunch of include statements. It's a pretty complex system done very well and it's call Ampoliros. Maybe you've heard of it?

Anyhow, I've got a lot to learn here with ConPresso and I like the simplicity of it's design and implementation.

John
Antworten